- The 10 Commandments
- God’s law is perfect, but we can’t follow it perfectly.
- God’s law has 3 uses:
- curb – good boundaries for society at large
- mirror – shows Christians our sins
- guide – shows Christians how to live
Psalm 119:105 – your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path
- Genesis 3:1-6 – Original Sin
- The tree of knowledge of good and evil was there for worship – not bowing down to the tree, but living in accordance to God’s will by not eating the fruit He commanded them not to eat.
- Adam and Eve sinned not just disobeying God’s command, but desiring that they be “like God” even though they were already made in His image. They wanted to become gods.
- That desire and disobedience broke their relationship with God. Discontentment settled in.
- Sin is living with bad desires, not just doing something wrong.
- sidebar thought: What is that verse about our being against God in our hearts?
- Despite original sin tainting us all, we are not junk. God doesn’t make junk. Psalm 51:4-6 – We are fearfully and wonderfully made.
- Warning: Genesis 4:7 – Sin’s (Satan’s) desire is to control you, enslave you, to have you.